Looking for a new recipe to try out with the flock? Coconut flour allegedly promotes healthy digestion and a healthy heart. Oats help lower cholesterol. So, while doing some holiday baking, why not whip up some oatmeal cookies for the parrots?
3 c. coconut flour
1 T. aluminum-free baking powder
1 c. rolled oats
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ginger
8 ounces (1 c. or 2 snack size cups) unsweetened applesauce
4 ounce jar of butternut squash baby food (no additives)
4 ounce jar of banana baby food (no additives)
1 1/3 c water
Finely chopped walnuts
Mix together flour, baking powder, oats, cinnamon and ginger.
- Separately, mix together egg, applesauce, and baby food.
- Add to dry ingredients, and add the water. Mix until dough forms.
- Roll into small dough balls.
- Place dough balls on a greased baking sheet (grease with coconut oil for added health benefits) about 1 ½ inches apart.
- Flatten balls so cookies are no taller than ½” tall. Sprinkle with finely chopped walnuts.
- Bake 18 – 22 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool completely before serving. Extra cookies may be frozen.