Phoenix Landing’s 2009 Fall Newsletter (PDF) is now available. Like always The Phoenix Beakin’ is packed with information about parrot care, conservation and the birds we help.
In this issue, you’ll find:
- Information about our first facility (The Landing!)
- A special trip to the Tambopata Research Center in Peru with conservationist Don Brightsmith. Check the newsletter (Page 11) for details about this great opportunity.
- Another great article by Kris Porter on Parrot Enrichment and Foraging Ideas. This issue’s article is on using ice cream cones and rice cakes as parrot toys! (Page 8 )
- The latest adoption stats and specific donation items requested to help support Phoenix Landing’s work. (Page 2)
- “Waiting in the Wings” – Stories of adoptable birds looking for new homes. (Pages 6-7)
- “Happy Landings” – Success stories of recently placed birds. (Pages 16-17)
- Info on our November 7th Auction. If you have items to donate, please let us know what you’ll be bringing by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.
- And much, much more!
In addition, if you live in one of our states of operation, we hope you will join us often for our upcoming events. Of special interest this fall:
- SAM WILLIAMS of PARROT WATCH: Life on the Wild Side!
Saturday, November 7th
Learn more about parrots in the wild from conservationist Sam Williams of Parrot Watch (Parrotwatch.org). Since every parrot still has a wild nature, we will enjoy some special videos and updates about ongoing research and conservation efforts. It is essential that those of us who love parrots do our part to protect parrots in the wild. This event will also include a special AUCTION to support the conservation efforts of Parrot Watch. If you have items to donate to the auction, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will also have a POTLUCK lunch between talks, a fun way to enjoy our day and each other’s company. Also, VOLUNTEER APPRECIATION day, with another free raffle to show our gratitude for your wonderful support this year!
- DR. SUSAN OROSZ PhD, DVM, Dipl ABVP& Dipl ECAMS:
Holistic Approach to Avian Medicine, Part 1
The Miracle of Flight and the Relationship to the Brain, Part 2
Saturday, October 3rd
Some very interesting topics with our extraordinary guest, Dr. Susan Orosz! “Dr. O” practices at the Bird and Exotic Pet Wellness Center in Toledo Ohio. She is board-certified in Avian Medicine through the American Board of Veterinary Practitioners. Board certification demonstrates that the doctor practices the highest standard of care in the profession, and can be seen by the diplomate initials “Dipl ABVP (Avian).” She is one of only 7 avian veterinarians in the world who are board-certified both in the United States and in Europe.
LUNCH: Since Dr. Orosz has kindly agreed to talk with us about several topics, we will have an extended program and take a break for lunch. Check the newsletter for details.
Download the full newsletter here.